[OldNorth] New Clipping Pick Up & Sweeping Days

Valerie Vann valerie at vanngroup.com
Tue Sep 14 11:55:01 PDT 2004

That's the way it works (or doesn't) on the 600 G block even
with commercial landscaping maintenance on much of the block,
because most of them come on Mondays after the yard pickup.
So the stuff sits there for at least a week getting scattered,
even if someone isn't parked on top of it on pickup morning.

Sometimes it sits for more than a week before there's enough
clearance to pick it up.

As for street sweeping, sometimes it doesn't really happen
until Spring or Thanksgiving break.

Yuba City, which is often considered one of California's less
enlightened cities, switched to the mechanized garbage such
as DWR is getting years and years ago (15? 20yrs?), but at
the same time they provide a second container for yard trash.
NO yard trash is permitted in the street. If it won't fit
in the can, or you have commercial service, you or they have
to haul it to the dump.

They had cleaner streets and fewer flooding problems from
blocked drains as a result. In contrast, my block has
a couple of old style street drains (with horizontal grates),
and combined with all the piles typically blocking the gutters
(which even if they didn't when placed often get shoved there
by parking cars), whenever we have a severe storm the
drainage doesn't function properly. I've seen the intersection
of F & 6th flooded clear out to the center line more
than once and my own block with water up over the curb in places.

There is another result of yard trash scatter and difficulty
sweeping: grass and weeds sprouting in the pavement cracks
and gutters, leading to more dirt and seeds collecting, which
traps more dirt, and so on.

Valerie Vann
valerie at vanngroup.com