[OldNorth] Linden Lane, North of Cornell & the Q District

John Lofland jflofland at ucdavis.edu
Tue Sep 14 12:14:41 PDT 2004

Last week, I reported on this list that the Council will tonight
approve expanding the Q parking district (which bans overnight
parking) to Linden Lane. I said I was going to appear at its public
hearing to comment on the ever-enlarging area of non-resident car
bans in Davis.

The Staff Report on this item has now come out (at the Council agenda
web site) and new information in it has caused me to revise my plans.
I will not speak to the Council tonight.

The reason is that the situation is much larger and more
conflict-laden than I had previously understood. Linden Lane now
appears to be only a small part the situation and I do not want to be
in the middle of  what is likely to be a Q district debate.

The larger situation appears to be a division among residents in the
area North of Cornell that includes parts of Pine, Purdue, Bucknell,
and Colby.

Of 98 residences in that area, 81 voted on the question of going into
the Q district or not. They divided 40 yes and 41 no. Using the
current Council standard, 54 yes votes were required (67%) for a Q
district. Therefore, the measure failed.

Proponents and opponents on this North of Cornell matter will likely
dominate the public hearing.

While I will not speak, I will certainly want to see what happens.
Depending on how our Old North parking vote comes out, this episode
could influence how the Council views our "preferential parking"
proposal when it eventually comes before it.

John Lofland