[OldNorth] R-2 Conservation District / City Council

Dan Quickert dequickert at omsoft.com
Tue Jan 6 00:35:23 PST 2004

Dear neighbors,

I may have written this previously, but want to be sure the thought gets
out there:

I think it could be a serious mistake to try to derail the passage of the
R-2 Conservation District ordinance, or to open it up for major changes at
this time.

Passage of the ordinance will not change Old North to R-2, because it
already is R-2.

Delaying its passage could put it before a different set of council
members; that would be a gamble.

We worked long and hard to get the Neighborhood Guidelines in place; this
ordinance implements them.  If we don't support the ordinance as it is, we
open the door to modifications that we may not want.

The issue of R-2 vs R-1 is a valid one, and you all know how I feel about
it.  The 'densification' issue is very current in the city, and we need to
be a strong part of the discussion and policymaking in that regard.  There
will be ample opportunity to address these things in the very near future.

But we have the Guidelines ready to be codified right now.  It may be our
last and best chance to get them 'written in stone'.  Well, maybe we
already blew our best chance - it could have been passed when it was to
come before the City Council last time.

I would like the Old North Neighborhood Association to strongly endorse
passage of the ordinance; and simultaneously ask for a commitment from the
City to begin discussion/planning to consider changing the zoning to R-1.

That would solidify our past efforts, and simultaneously prepare the ground
for our next goal.

Dan Quickert