[OldNorth] density: apples and oranges are missing the point

Dan Quickert dequickert at omsoft.com
Tue Jan 6 00:12:35 PST 2004

First I need to say that all this population density discussion is
interesting, but to my mind a bit off the track.

The lot sizes in College Park are roughly twice that of Old North on
average (15,700 vs 8,666); but the population per lot is also roughly
double (3.3 vs 1.5) ... if one believes the census density figures, which
seem a bit low for my block (I won't get into computing that here).

Even if there is no big difference between Old North and College Park in
*population* density, there is a huge difference in *housing unit* density.
 We have twice as many dwellings per square mile.  That means that
neighboring buildings are much closer.  That means that an increase in size
of a neighboring building - or inserting another building - will have a
much more dramatic effect.

We could quibble about the population density and how it's measured, but
what really counts (to me) is what kind of open space we have.  Non-built
space - where you can see the sky out your window, or the trees four houses
down, or the sunset clouds, or the Swainson's hawks overhead.  Where you
can be in your backyard and not feel penned-in by buildings.  Those are my
metrics for 'density'.

It really wouldn't be any good to me if the density was only 3,000 people
per square mile, if those people were in very large houses that filled all
the space.

It really isn't about population density.

We live in a rather unique neighborhood.  The lots are mostly small, and
the houses are mostly small.  The houses and buildings are (or were) scaled
to the lots, so that the outdoor area was left with proportionate space.

We live in a neighborhood that is ideal for people who don't need a very
big house, but who want some useable outdoor space.  Good for a small
family, with yards and open spaces for kids; for single people and older
people who don't want to live in an apartment but don't want or need a
large house - but want to be able to step outside and still be home.
 Housing like this is a rare resource - they're not making any more of it
around here that I know of.  It can only be lost by attrition if we allow
'densification' to be channeled here.

Dan Quickert