[OldNorth] Population density reported on Census website accurate to 10% (for Block)

Z Smith zesmith at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 6 09:54:05 PST 2004

Everybody,

John and I have spoken by phone about the finer points of calculating
population density.  Here's the scoop:

The Census data he was able to download 2 years ago gave Block area in
square miles to just two decimal places, and since a typical Block in Old
North is just 0.00665 or 0.00550 square miles, the old datasets would show
these all as just 0.01 square miles, and dividing the population of a block
into 0.01 square miles would make the population density numbers off by
something like 40%.

The current website lets you view & download the population density and the
population for each block.  Dividing one by the other gives you the area
they assumed.   I did this and found that the areas they are using for
blocks appear to be stored to 3 decimal places-- that is, they use 0.007 or
0.006 or 0.005 square miles as the area of various blocks.   This introduces
an error of up to 10% in the calculated density.

For my work, I have in fact measured the dimensions of the blocks and
streets of Old North and checked them against the city maps.   From this
work I was able to calculate the "true" density and compare it with the
values reported by the Census website--again, they match to within 10%. I
will be happy to send the spreadseet with all this data to anyone who'd
actually like to see it.

So, the bottom line is that the densities you find clicking around on the
Census maps are probably good to + or - 10% for individual Blocks.  The
relative error is less when you look at groups of Blocks or whole Census
Tracts.