[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin 09/21/2010

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Sep 20 15:07:33 PDT 2010

REMINDER

1.	Calling all dancers! It's not too late! Deadline extended! Due to some confusion and incorrect information, the deadline for the DHS Jazz Choir's dance competition, Blue Devils: You Think You Can Dance? has been extended to Friday, Sept. 24th. Pick up your application in the main office or the Vocal Room (PA-8). It's only $10 to apply. Completed applications can be mailed in or turned in to Mr. Zinn's box in the office.

2.	Seniors: This is your last week to submit your signature for the 2011 Senior Signature shirt. Please submit in Mr. Gonzalez’s room A-8 by this Friday the 24th you’d like to participate.

3.	As it starts to get colder, don't forget that blue devil sweatshirts are on sale for $15.00 year round in the physical education department. See Ms. Whitmire if you would like to buy one before the next cold day!

SPORTS

 	Girls Tennis @ Elk Grove			3:45		Dismissal: 2:10;
Girls Volleyball @ Rocklin			4:00-5:00	Dismissal: 2:15JV/2:45V

COLLEGE VISITS

Tues. 9/21  University of Rochester 	    1:30 pm
Wed.  9/22  St. Mary's College	    9:00 am
            Washington U. in St. Louis  10:00 am
            University of Chicago       12:00 pm
Thurs. 9/23 Western Oregon University   10:30 am
            Stanford University          2:40 pm
Fri. 9/24	   University of Arizona        9:00 am
            Drexel University           11:00 am
            Vassar College               1:30 pm
TODAY

1.	Cafeteria: Farm to school Pizza, Beef Dippers with Rice, Stuffed Pasta Shells in red sauce, Popcorn chicken with mashed potatoes and corn or sandwich.

2.	What’s up, what’s up?!?! Do you love to dance? Do people think you’re a good dancer? Then come and tryout for the 2010-2011 Hip-Hop Team! Tryouts are all this week everyday after school, in the MPR. Times will be Tuesday and Friday at 3:50-5:30 and Wednesday, Thursday at 2:50-5:30

3.	Hey Operation Smile Members! Don’t forget to come to our meeting on Tuesday at lunch in L-21! We’ll be discussing, upcoming projects and electing club officers! Don’t miss out!

4.	Are you interested in interacting with other students around the world? Would you like to help those in need? Then come to Cultural Exchange Club this Tuesday during lunch in P-14. We’ll see you there!

5.	Still looking for a club to join? Well if you’re interested in Japanese Culture then come to the 1st Japanese club meeting of the year on Tuesday, September 21 in room S-6. Hope to see you there!!

6.	Attention sophomores: are you interested in helping design the homecoming float? If so we have a class meeting Tuesday the 21st in L-23, Ms Britton’s room. It will be lots of fun!!

7.	Do you get intense satisfaction from doing kind things? Then you should check out Random Acts of Kindness Club. We are having out first meeting today at lunch in Mrs. Wilkerson’s room L-22. Everyone is welcome to attend.

NEW

1.	Hey Debaters! There will be a meeting this Wednesday after school at 2:30 in S-7, Ms Martineau’s room. Hope to see you all there!

2.	All dancers interested in a DHS Performance Dance Company should meet with Pamela in the dance room at lunch on Wednesday 09/22. Since Intermediate/Advanced dance wasn’t offered this year, let’s see what we can do as a club!!

3.	Are you interested in being a CABIN LEADER for Korematsu's 6th grade Outdoor Education program? Cabin leaders are needed for their trip to Walker Creek Ranch on Nov. 29-Dec. 3. Cabin leaders must work well with children, and have an outgoing personality with an enthusiasm for the outdoors. If interested, please come to the main office for an application. Applications must be submitted to Korematsu Elementary School by October 15.

4.	Did you know that more than 75% of used printer cartridges are thrown away each year in the US. It’s a new school year so I wanted to remind everyone that we are continuing our cell phone, inkjet and laser cartridge recycle program. All you need to do is drop off your old cell phones and non-recycled cartridges. Drop off boxes are located in the mail room and staff lounge. Thank you to all that have donated and to those that will be. Thanks the Learning Resource Center.

5.	Hey Davis Interactors! Don’t forget to come to our second general meeting on Wednesday after 6th period in room
N-16! We’ll be having our second team-building session so don’t miss out!

6.	Seniors: College Workshop: Join the counselors at lunch time in the old gym on the 22nd and 23rd to learn more about applying to colleges.

7.	Come check out the Freedom from Hunger Club this Wednesday, September 22 in L-25 at lunch. We will be discussing upcoming freedom from hunger events for the year.

8.	Do you want to debate international issues in committees with other high school students from around the county and sometimes the globe? Do you want to improve your public speaking skills? Or do you just want to hang out the coolest kids on campus? If so join the Model United Nations Team. Our first meeting is Wednesday, September 22nd in room P-25 Mr. Hawes room Hope to see you there!

CONTINUED

1.	 SUBMIT ARTICLES FOR OCTOBER DHS PTA NEWSLETTER BY Thursday, September 23, is the deadline for submitting information and articles for the October 2010 Davis High School PTA newsletter. Please send news, announcements, etc. to the DHS PTA Media list server at DHSPTAmedia at mailman.dcn.org. Please include your name, your parent's name, e-mail address and phone number in case the newsletter editor has questions about your submission. The newsletter is the ONLY communication tool that reaches ALL DHS families, whether they have Internet access or not. The newsletter is generally available at the beginning of each month. This is a great way to inform, notify or enlist parents' help for upcoming DHS school and student activities.

2.	Hey Key Clubbers! Are you ready to serve the community? Then be sure to stop by our 2nd general meeting this Wednesday at lunch in S-12 and sign up for awesome upcoming projects. We’ll be discussing membership information, so spread the buzz and bring all your friends. We’ll see all your beautiful faces there!

3.	Hey seniors! Interested in helping build the Superman Homecoming float? Then come to Mr. Elliott’s room L-25 at lunch Wednesday, September 21st for planning and ideas.

4.	Kids ages 6-13 are invited to learn cheers, jumps, tumbling and a dance at a cheer clinic hosted by the DHS cheerleading squad. The event runs from 1 to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 26, at the DHS stadium. The cost is $30 in advance or $35 at the event. Attendees will receive small-group instruction by age, snacks and beverages, and a ticket to the Oct. 1 Davis High School football game. The day includes a performance by the Blue Devil cheerleaders and an end-of-clinic performance by attendees. To learn more or to reserve a spot, contact Coach Danielle Eckert at danielle.m.eckert at gmail.com or (619) 733-9874. Information about the team is available at www.dhscheer.org