[1st-mile-nm] US Feds to increase costs for access to Federal Land for broadband

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 12:40:15 PST 2021

John and group,

The Forest Service fee schedule  for fiber specifically is set by
individual federal region,  which I have considered a deliberate action to
avoid commitments made in the last summer of Obama administration and in
2018, to do whatever any federal agency can do to facilitate broadband
deployment.

There are also national fee schedules for cellular, broadcast, etc... ones
that vary by populations served (that is, "whatever the traffic will bear")
and not by actual cost to USFS.

What I get is a "we need to hire more firefighters" excuse. Huh? Ask
Congress for the money or specifically tax something everyone wants? Which
is more logical?

Steve Ross
Editor-at-Large and founding editor, Broadband Communities Magazine

201-456-5933
Editorsteve at gmail.com
Steve at bbcmag.com