[1st-mile-nm] Intro and pole attachment question

Michael Harris mharris at visgence.com
Tue Dec 15 13:55:16 PST 2020

Hi Brian,

I was working on a fiber project in Las Cruces a few years ago which never
got off the ground because of pole attachment issues. It was a relatively
simple project - a handful of poles, <2000 ft. Because of the complexities
of dealing with, EPE, Century Link, and the CIty of Las Cruces, it never
happened. If I remember correctly, we had issues at every step from
contacting pole owners, to obtaining permits (circular dependencies), to
getting authorizations from pole owners. I wasn't personally dealing with
the permitting process, but our partner who was leading it became very
frustrated with the process and the project was eventually abandoned.

I know that pole attachment is a common complaint on this list, so I'm sure
others have more stories.

Thanks for your interest in the matter,

--
Michael Harris