[1st-mile-nm] more 5g fun: neighborhood small cells

Doug Orr doug.orr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 15:30:09 PST 2019

This one is kinda new to me but makes perfect sense. Rather than say, "5g
building penetration sucks leaving it of marginal utility indoors" we have
a marketing program for neighborhood small cells (!) which are open access
(!!) and sound positively homey.

I hate marketing.

Looks to me like you need to augment or replace your wifi with an open
access NSC (neighborhood small cell!) in order to watch high def cat videos
on your phone indoors.

These reports make it clear that this is nothing but upside.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2018/10/22/samsung-and-qualcomm-work-deliver-industry-leading-5g-nr-small-cell
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2018/10/15/ubiquitous-5g-experiences-small-cells

Marketing bonuses all around.

And a word from Qualcomm's Dean Brenner
<https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2018/04/12/fcc-takes-action-accelerate-small-cell-deployments-and-strengthen-5g-readiness>
who lets us know that we'll need small cells "indoors and out" and applauds
the FCC's steamroller,

  Doug