[1st-mile-nm] And we complain about lack of broadband

Tom Johnson tom at jtjohnson.com
Sun Aug 31 13:00:40 PDT 2008

All:

A friend in the U.S. foreign service writes from India:

"...The highlight was staying in a village on the border with Bhutan --no
electricity, the entire town of 300 people is vegetarian and won't let you
in their homes if you've eaten meat. We visited the oldest house in the
village where the owner, Anil Rai, a cardamom farmer with a high school
education, gave us a tour. At the end, he asked me for my e-mail address. I
asked him how he could use my e-mail address if he has no electricity. He
explained that he travels 40 minutes by bus to Kalimpong where he logs on at
an Internet Café. He also has a cell phone that he sends on a bus to the
next village with electricity to be charged when needed."

Count our blessings, yes?

-tj

--
J. T. Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism -- Santa Fe, NM USA
http://www.jtjohnson.com tom at jtjohnson.com

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the
existing model obsolete."
-- Buckminster Fuller