[1st-mile-nm] And we complain about lack of broadband

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 05:13:51 PDT 2008

Just returned from India yesterday (I did not write the report Tom passed
on, though).

To be fair, the village almost certainly has several small generators, but
powering them up to charge the cell phone would be rather wasteful and
costly. India is in the process of providiing every agricultural village
with an internet connection, to check market prices and lock them in before
the farmer rents a truck to bring crops to market. Villages of this size can
expect a connection in a few years -- in their case, probably solar-powered
and served by wireless.

Across the border up there, one of my former Columbia University students
runs one of the two (weekly) newspapers in Bhutan. It is a happy, peaceful
place (unlike nearby Napal). He created his own fonts using Apple tools 20
years ago. The newsroom used to be solar powered (storage to car batteries).
Now he hosts his website in Singapore.

I have a current Bhutanese journalism student in Chennai. Her name is Lucky.
In class she wanted a detailed explanation of how subprime debt is
securitized. Will the peacefulness last?

Steve Ross

--
Steve Ross
201-456-5933