[1st-mile-nm] First in Broadband Mapping, North Carolina?s e-NC

Marianne Granoff granoff at zianet.com
Sat Aug 23 11:35:01 PDT 2008

One important point to make - even where Qwest or Windstream (see
below) is the physical DSL provider, it is not necessary to use
qwest.net, windstream.net or msn for the ISP.  Many other New Mexico
ISPs offer Internet services via both Qwest and Windstream DSL and
higher bandwidth wireline connections.

More sources for broadband connection availability and mapping in NM:

1)  Windstream serves five large areas of NM:

Espanola, Cuba, Jemez Springs and all of Rio Arriba County,
Hobbs, Eunice, Jal, Lovington and surrounding area,
Carlsbad, Loving, White City and surrounding area
Ruidoso, Capitan and surrounding area
T or C, Elephant Butte and surrounding area

http://www.windstream.com/business/broadband.aspx  - on the right
side of the screen you can enter NM for the state and the menu will
show communities served by Windstream which may have broadband services.

2)  www.nmecg.org is the web site for the NM Exchange Carriers Group
- the association of rural telephone companies in NM.  All but
Centurytel and Sacred Wind (maybe not yet - but they will) offer DSL
or some kind of broadband in almost all of their entire service areas.

Almost all of these companies' individual web pages show where the
service is available, and their contacts will tell you where it is
available if it is not on the web page.

These companies are serving the most rural areas of NM extremely well.

3)  There are a few CLECs and a many wireless ISPs in rural areas
providing their own broadband service.  These are some - in no
particular order):

www.connectchama.com has a community wireless Internet network that
is used by ZiaNet and maybe Ravin (I don't know if they still have
access services) to offer wireless broadband in most of the Chama Valley.

http://www.cybermesa.com/VoiceData.htm is a CLEC providing their own
voice and broadband Internet services from Eldorado south of Santa Fe
to Espanola, with other locations planned.

http://www.digii.net/HighSpeed.html serves San Juan County areas with
high speed wireless Internet.

www.kitcarson.net - Kit Carson Telecom offers wireless Internet to
the Taos Area, Questa Area, Angel Fire Area, Eagle Nest Area, and
Penasco Area (Vadito, Llano, Chamisal, Picuris, Rio Lucio).  They are
also a CLEC offering fiber connectivity and other services in the Taos area.

http://www.amigo.net/cms/index.php?id=25 - provides high speed
wireless Internet in Moriarty, Edgewood, Estancia, and Mountainair.

http://www.lobo.net/access.shtml has been offering wireless broadband
Internet in the Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Rio Rancho and East Mountain
areas for almost a decade.

http://www.newmex.net/web_page.php?page=services&type=wireless and
http://www.la-tierra.net/services/ both offer high speed wireless
Internet in Las Cruces and the surrounding area.

http://www.spinn.net/ offers High speed wireless Internet in Albuquerque

http://riolink.com/html/wireless.html offers high speed wireless
Internet in and around the T or C and Elephant Butte areas.

http://www.uphi.net/service_areas.htm serves parts of Torrence County
and the east mountains near Mountainair with high speed wireless Internet.

http://www.desertgatewireless.com/ serves the Las Vegas, NM area with
wireless broadband Internet.

http://www.signalpeak.net/ serves the Silver City and the surrounding
area including Arenas Valley, Chisholm Ranch, the Little Walnut area,
Silver Acres, Dos Griegos, parts of Wind Canyon and the surrounding
areas with high speed wireless Internet.

http://www.cnsp.com/Wireless/tabid/57/Default.aspx serves Santa Fe,
Espanola, La Cienega, Las Campanas, La Tierra, Eldorado, Los Alamos,
White Rock, Tesuque, Pojoaque, La Puebla, Nambe, Chimayo, El Valle de
Arroyo Seco, Alcalde, Velarde, Hwy 14, Cerrillos, Galisteo, and Lamy
and the surrounding areas with wireless broadband Internet.

http://www.dfn.com/wireless_info2.htm provides wireless broadband
Internet in Roswell, Artesia, Dexter, Hagerman, Carlsbad and
Surrounding areas.

http://www.leaco.net/internet/internet.htm offers high speed wireless
Internet in Tatum, Dexter, Hagerman, Antelope Ridge, Crossroads,
Maljamar, Hobbs, Lovington, Jal, Eunice, Carlsbad and Roswell. They
are also a LEC providing DSL services in these areas.

http://www.keycominc.com/ doing business as Southwestern Wireless
offers high speed wireless Internet in Roswell, Dexter, Artesia,
Hagerman, Lake Arthur, Carlsbad, Eunice, Jal, Fort Sumner, Ruidoso,
Capitan, Alamogordo, Tularosa, Las Cruces, Clovis, Hobbs, Tatum,
Elida, Melrose, Portales, Kenna, Floyd, Hondo, Carazozo, "Coming
Soon" Seminole, Denver City and many others in Southeastern New Mexico.

http://www.comcastspecial.com/state/newmexico/newmexico.html -
Comcast offers cable Internet service in Albuquerque, Angel Fire,
Bernalillo, Bloomfield, Cedar Crest, Cimarron, Corrales, Deming,
Eagle Nest, El Prado, Espanola, Farmington, Gallup, Grants, Hatch,
Hurley, Jemez Springs, Las Cruces, Las Vegas, Los Alamos, Los Lunas,
Lovington, Mesilla, Milan, Moriarty, Navajo Dam, Nogal, Pecos,
Portales, Questa, Ranchos De Taos, Raton, Red River, Rio Rancho,
Santa Fe, Silver City, Socorro, Springer, Taos, and Tucumcari.

There are also other cable companies serving other NM communities
with Cable Internet.

http://www.suddenlink.com/internet/ serves Clovis and Texico with
cable Internet.

http://www.cableone.net/digitalcable/package.asp Cable One serves Rio
Rancho, Roswell and Chaves County with Cable Internet.

http://timewarner.usdirect.com/timewarner/new-mexico-time-warner.html
offers cable Internet services in many NM communities.

I am sure there are other companies that I haven't listed - only
because I do not know of them.

Marianne Granoff
Chair, Public Affairs Committee
New Mexico Internet Professionals Association
P.O. Box 22641
Santa Fe, NM 87502
http://www.nmipa.org
505 246-4634 or 505 980-7919