[1st-mile-nm] First in Broadband Mapping, North Carolina?s e-NC

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Sat Aug 23 07:30:58 PDT 2008

CityLink has offered to 1st-Mile the use of and to host the GIS data.
We've invested over $40K in ESRI ArcGIS (same software these folks and
most Muni's  are using) for our own internal needs.

I agree with Josmon that having visibility on the mostly static
infrastructure would be highly useful.

While some carrier data is "proprietary", it becomes available via
public domain when you put paint on the ground.

Having the knowledge of how to get reasonably priced bits to places
helps everyone.

Internally we have the DSL service areas for Qwest DSL in Santa Fe and
Albuquerque, along with rate/wire center boundries, parts of Qwest's
metro fiber network, lit buildings for (qwest, twtc, brooks, verizon),
CO locations, parts of PNM Electric and PNM Gas, some wireless
locations/direction of coverage for (SWCP, Lobo and others).

The ability to export/import to Google Earth format is available.  So
the back end could be ESRI GeoData, with export to Google Earth data
sets that the "public" could download.

Maybe there should be a NM Telcom GIS working group that meets to
collect and enter this info....