[1st-mile-nm] First in Broadband Mapping, North Carolina?s e-NC

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Fri Aug 22 18:25:27 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 05:46:50PM -0600, peter wrote:

> You do not map a dynamic system with a static map they are just pretty
> colored lines on a piece of paper

Wow -- that kinda throws the baby out with the bath water.

It think the map has some valuable information.  It shows wire center
boundaries and what form of DSL/ATM/FrameRelay/OCx is available.  That's
some pretty basic information that is relatively static, so this
map is useful in that sense.

The dynamic portion comes in when you want to look at the servcies
that are being provided on top of those underlying services.  In my
mind, I *want* the underlying infrastructure to be static, so that I can
roll any dynamic service over the top -- and trust the underlying
layers.

Internet consumers want a finished packet service at a reasonable
cost per bit -- so from one perspective the DSL data is really the only
relevant data to the map.  All the other services are tariffed at rates
that make them unavailable to consumers directly.

It would be *great* to see a series of maps that show availability of
services, and an a $/Mbps contour map -- that would let you see the
economic impact of bringing new services to a given area...