[1st-mile-nm] Meet Copowi, the world's first ISP to guarantee network neutrality: Page 1

peter pete at ideapete.com
Mon May 26 12:12:03 PDT 2008

Agree John, I have a relative who works at L3 ( who laid it all ) in
Denver and I watched that sad sale event with the lack of available
break offs in NM with horror

One of the issues we keep running into is deliberate smoke and mirrors
of the logic behind all this

What first caught my eye at the INQ site about the open access
announcement is the statement that " Its going to cost a lot of money at
T3 ", thats the first time I have ever hear that comment and its
absolutely spot on

In my business world two sets of rules operate, business and technical,
and in most cases the B rule is paramount no mater how much gobbledygook
technobabble is being thrown around

Simply, you cannot buy or operate a service for $4 and sell it for $1
unless you really are fond of two numbers 7 and 11

Now lets look at the Tier description  ( I will not go deep with traffic
and routing and services or packet layers just the overall pattern and
generic overview )

    * Tier 1 - A network that can reach every other network on the
      Internet without purchasing IP transit.
    * Tier 2 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_2_network> - A network
      that peers with some networks, but still purchases IP transit to
      reach at least some portion of the Internet.
    * Tier 3 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_3_ISP> - A network that
      solely purchases transit from other networks to reach the Internet.

Normally this B rule applies and yes I know there are exceptions

Tier 1 suppliers service cost $X and so they sell it to Tier 2 at $X+
Tier 2 suppliers service cost $X+ and so they sell it to Tier 2 at $X++

Thats why when I hear the rhetoric from a pure Tier 3 supplier (
Azulstar - Sandoval County Broadband and others  ) that they can supply
FULL service service at 1/10 of $X I just roll over and laugh keeping
both hands in my pocket.

Frequently in our business we look at different industries and apply
patterns for comparison and when i ran the 1/10 cost Tier 3 past a
banking friend of mine he identified and laughed out loud and
immediately he called it a Ponzi scheme and would advise the
perpetrators to look forward to a nice comfortable federal penitentiary
holiday. He did however compliment the inventors on a new variation
until I pointed out banks were financing this and then the Eureka moment
turned into an Oh Shit session.

Similarly part of our companies business is in the power industry and
they have a similar tier structure albeit with a different name that
looks like this

    * Tier 1 -  Power production at the power plant source at Ultra HIGH
      Voltage ( normally in a remote are close to a fuel source )
    * Tier 2 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_2_network> -
      Transmission lines that carry the power to local area need sources
      stepped down to High Voltage
    * Tier 3 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_3_ISP> - Local delivery
      transmission and customer service supply stepped down from High to
      medium and usable voltage

One of the great debates that occurred at the breakup of the power
industry ( still going on today ) to make efficient cost effective
service was first the ownership split of Tier 2 from the incumbent
owners of Tier 1 and 3 to prevent monopolization practices that we find
common in the communications industry , this natural progression will
mean eventually Tier 1 - 2- 3 users must be independent and separate
companies. A model we could well follow in our industry. Ironically this
is how companies like L3 started

The BIGGIE point, and I think this is what John is focusing on, is that
if the senior legislatures at both federal and state and county level do
not understand what a TIER is let alone a LAYER protocol let alone the
difference between MGB and mgb then the Broadbandits win by default and
it seems like the only people who really give a dam are people in our
groups and so Richard how are we going to Edumakreat ( deliberate pun )
them thar burocrustraetions

Count me in anyway you want, this sounds like Leapfrog on steroids
http://www.ideapete.com/leapfrog.html all over again

  ( : ( : pete

Peter Baston

*IDEAS*