[OldNorth] City Planning Revision of Mixed Use Zoning

John Lofland jflofland at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 3 15:40:35 PDT 2005

ONDers and others,

City Planning (CP) is in the process of revising the "mixed use" zone
provisions (Article 40.15 of the zoning code). The purpose of this
revision "is to further clarify development standards and to provide
consistency" between zoning and the Guidelines (quote from the notice
printed in the DE, May 16, A5).

There are five mixed use zones in Davis. Three of them are in the
downtown.One is in Old North Davis and  runs from the mid-500 block
to Seventh Street on G. The fifth is in Old East Davis, next to the
tracks between Third and Fourth, I think. (Jennifer Anderson owns all
the property in that zone, I am told, and lobbied to change it to
mixed use.)

Based on what we have learned about the agenda of the CP in the B
Street matter, it seems to me we ought to be alert to both obvious
and not obvious changes afoot that may or may not be in our interests
and consistent with the Guidelines. (We already know that CP  can
deal with the question of consistency by simply changing the
Guidelines.)

The staff report on this matter came out today. For your reference, I
attach a copy of it (in pdf). I hope that the more dedicated to dull
reading among us will give this document a close reading.

A Planning Commission public hearing on it is scheduled for June 8.

Ken Hiatt is the lead staff on this. His assistant assigned to this
topic is a new CP person named Heather Johanson (who explained a good
deal of the above to me at the CP counter).

Best,

John