[OldNorth] 539 E Street cottage-- it's actually 480 SF above ground

Z Smith zesmith at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 28 15:51:51 PST 2004

Peter was understandably confused by the way the City Planning Staff
described this project.  Since I'm the lead designer for the project in
Scott Neeley's office, I'll take the liberty of responding.

It is 480 SF above ground (as the Design Guidelines allow), 303 of heated
basement area, for 783 SF total.  They chose to describe it as a 783 SF
project with a ground floor and a basement, which Peter assumed meant 783 SF
x 2 = 1566 SF.

The 8-1/2x11" prints the City mailed around are hard to read (the originals
are 24"x36"); anyone who wants a clearer print to read, just e-mail me.

The structure replaces a 734 SF one-story accessory structure, and as such,
less area will be paved when the project is done than when it started. The
lot coverage will *decrease* (from 36% of lot area down to 32%), and the
usable open space will actually be *increased* by this project (from 27% of
lot area to 35% of lot area).  The 24'-wide driveway will be narrowed to a
the zoning-minimum 12' wide.  The project is 15' high at the ridge, and
casts less shadows on its neighbor than the existing structure it replaces.

When complete, there will be the existing home (2 BR, 1 BA, 1420 SF above
ground, 200 SF basement) and this cottage (1 BR / 2BA, 480 SF above ground,
303 SF basement).  So when it's done, the lot coverage will be just 32%, and
there will be a total of 3BR and 3 BA on the site between the house and the
cottage.  The overall FAR is just 32%, well below the 40% limit.

The owner of the site will be selling her 4-bedroom home north of Covell
Boulevard now that her kids are grown and occupy the cottage as an
owner-occupant.

I'm extremely proud of the how the project replaces a largely unused, dead
space (a garage and workshop) with living space while increasing the amount
of green for everyone.