[OldNorth] Car Problems Green Curbs Alone Do Not Solve

Valerie Vann valerie at vanngroup.com
Tue Sep 7 16:05:20 PDT 2004

John Lofland wrote:

> A few cars are even parked as quasi-living quarters that collect
> garbage around them. (Check the volvos in front of 405 Seventh and
> 600 Sixth, and the VW bus on sixth street by 536 G. [Street-dwellers
> have good tastes in auto brands.])

The VW bus is one the 6th street "campers" (the other is a custom
bicycle owner who lives on the sidewalk/planting strip next to the
rear of the COOP.

The COOP considers this 6th St. homeless encampment a growing problem
(they use the COOP bathroom facilities during the day and the railroad
right-of-way at night) and are a noise/party/litter problem,
according to the COOP manager. Eric solicited neighborhood assistence
at a meeting several weeks ago,but only two of us showed up, so it was
suggested he ask for a meeting with the city manager (they're not getting
much help from the police apparently.) I don't know the current
status of the situation.

>street cleaning

As long as some residences have no off street parking at all, and
the City insists on street collection of uncontainerized yard
trash, I don't know what the solution to the sweeping problem is. My
block tends to get swept Thanksgiving and Spring breaks, and
that's about it. No Parking on alternate sides of the street works in
some places, but I don't know if it would here; people would
probably rather have dirty streets. It is also an environmental and
drainage problem.

Valerie Vann