[OldNorth] Paint-yer-own curb; G St is different

Z Smith zesmith at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 11:30:37 PDT 2004

Re:

Painting your own red curb and/or delineating parallel parking spaces.  The
enterprising owner of the Bookkeeper (6th & G St) has apparently painted
parking spaces on the street herself.  I've also noticed that the residual /
vestigial curb cuts on either side of  D street at around ~630 have what
look to be home-painted curbs.   Yes, the City is opposed to vigilante
curb-painting, but haven't seen them come out with sandblasters to remove
them.

As to G Street being different because of its commercial tenants.  Let's
work out a proposal.  The one that makes the most sense to me for the rest
of the neighborhood is that each lot owner can get one and only one permit,
and that it *is not* tied to a specific car.  This lets me hand it to the
plumber and he can hang it on *his* rear view mirror and park directly in
front of my house.    For a business on G street, this one floating space
would guarantee that sign maker / attorney / etc with a business could just
hand it to the one visiting client--they'd park, run in, get the permit, and
place it on their rear view mirror.
     If a retired homeowner who doesn't have a car wants to obtain a permit
and then rent it out for a little extra income, I personally don't have a
problem with that, though others might.  I believe the City does have a
problem with that, but I'm not sure.  Let's refine that...