[OldNorth] 530letter, text pasted

John Lofland jflofland at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jan 26 14:41:34 PST 2004

ONers,

Below, I paste the text of a letter to the Council regarding 530 F.
(It apparently did not make it as an attachment.)

John Lofland
______________________________

January 26, 2004

Members
The Davis City Council
City Hall
Davis, CA 95616

Dear Members of the Davis City Council:

I write regarding the too-large and mis-designed building proposed
for 530 F Street. My hope is that the Council will act to bring about
the same kind of positive redesign it achieved for three other
initially ill-conceived downtown-area buildings.

The three now quite nice designs that started out too large and ugly
were the Hillel Building on A, the California Statewide Building at
426 D, and the Chen Building at Second and G.

Fortunately, public discussion and negotiation resulted in revised
designs that now look good and fit their surroundings. We can be
proud of how all three were enormously improved through community
feedback and suggestions.

I hope we can achieve the same kind of positive revision and outcome at 530 F.
Therefore, I ask you:
(1) to deny the applicants' appeal without prejudice, and

(2) to encourage design of a more contextually appropriate structure
that responds to the concerns expressed by its immediate neighbors
and by many Old North residents.

Cordially,

John Lofland
523 E Street