[OldNorth] council agenda for Tues.

John Lofland jflofland at ucdavis.edu
Sun Dec 14 12:03:53 PST 2003

Hello Andy,

l. Yes, we have a problem with the Council Agenda for December 16.
For one thing,it is not yet posted at the ordinary location of the
City agenda page.

2. Further, the agenda I got by email did not open and operate in the
usual way. Instead of being detachable from the email in pdf, it can
only be read within the email and will not print!

3. But, I was able to select the text and copy and past it into a
word document. Some of the formatting is gone, but the content is
there. I have attached it  here. Please let me know if there are
further problems with it.

4. On that agenda, our item is 4. I. That is, it is deep in the
consent calender part of the agenda. The description contains the
phrases Old North Davis and Old East Davis.

5.The term "pull" is political junkie slang for "removing" an item
from the consent calender.

6. Under item 3 on the agenda, the process of removing items is
explained and I think I described it more fully in a previous email.

7. The measure had its public hearing last week. It is now up for
what is called "the second reading." Nothing further will said about
it and it will be approved unless someone asks to speak on it by
pulling/removing it. Then the public can speak on it. That is what at
least five of us plan to do on Tuesday. (I hope there will be many
more by then.)

8. Unhappily, we are about out of time for consensus-building. Hardly
any of us (including me) realized what the measure was actually
about. We only woke up in viewing the public hearing.

9. Take heart, though. It is because there are situations of this
sort that there is a second reading! The framers of the legislative
process recognized that  the nature and consequences of many measures
do not become clear before they are fully explored near the very end.
That is exactly what is happening here. In this sense, the democratic
process is working quite well and we have been saved from our

Best,

John