[env-trinity] Fw: 2021 Klamath River fall Chinook Salmon megatable

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Sat Feb 26 07:22:18 PST 2022

---- Forwarded Message ----- From: Lindke, Kenneth at Wildlife <kenneth.lindke at wildlife.ca.gov>To: Lindke, Kenneth at Wildlife <kenneth.lindke at wildlife.ca.gov>Cc: Sinnen, Wade at Wildlife <wade.sinnen at wildlife.ca.gov>Sent: Friday, February 25, 2022, 09:49:03 AM PSTSubject: 2021 Klamath River fall Chinook Salmon megatable

Folks,

Please find attached the Klamath River fall Chinook Salmon megatable with hot-off-the-press 2021 escapement and harvest estimates. We estimated that 64,591 fall Chinook Salmon returned to the Klamath River in 2021, which is about 54% of the long-term average. Last year about this time scientists at the Pacific Fishery Management Council estimated that 62,100adults would return to the Klamath in 2021, and we estimated that 54,207 actually returned. We were a little under the prediction, but that is pretty close. There are many indications that ocean conditions have improved considerably, which gives me hope for improved returns in the next few years. We’ll have to wait until next year to find out!

Ken Lindke

Environmental Scientist – Trinity River Restoration Program Coordinator

Klamath-Trinity Program

California Department of Fish and Wildlife – Northern Region

Kenneth.Lindke at wildlife.ca.gov

Office: (707) 822-4230

“An approximate answer to the right question is worth a great deal more than a precise answer to the wrong question.” – John Tukey

REPORT POACHERS AND POLLUTERS: 1-888-334-2258