[env-trinity] Annual Junction City Weir Trapping 2021 commences Friday June 4, 2021

Kier, Mary Claire@Wildlife MaryClaire.Kier at wildlife.ca.gov
Wed Jun 2 14:56:31 PDT 2021

Just an FYI folks,

The Junction City fish counting weir will be installed in the upper Trinity River for the 2021 season on Thursday June 3, 2021.
The weir will be at the same site location as prior years, approximately 4 miles upstream of the Junction City Bridge in the upper Trinity River.
First trap day is scheduled for Friday, June 4, 2021.
Trapping efforts will be Monday-Friday (so the weir will be closed overnight Sundays - Thursdays from dusk on).

The Junction City Weir is a collaborative project between the CA Dept Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) and Hoopa Valley Tribal Fisheries.  Junction City Weir is the initial tagging component of an annual single mark recapture Spring run Chinook population estimate, and has been installed and operated each year since 1980, with the exceptions of 1983 and 1995.  The data collected will be used after the season is over, in January 2022, to determine the 2021 Spring run Chinook run size estimate.  Same-season return of fish tags  by anglers to the CDFW address imprinted on each tag is an important part of the estimates, as it allows us to produce an accurate harvest estimate.  I have included a form to use for tag return should you be among the lucky...and the supplemental regulations book in case you haven't had a chance to look at it.

Fish on!
Cheers,
Mary Claire

Mary Claire Kier
CA Department of Fish and Wildlife - Trinity River Project
Environmental Scientist - Fisheries
707/822-5876  (I'm currently teleworking. Please use my email address if you need to contact me.)
5341 Ericson Way, Arcata CA 95521
Klamath/Trinity Program reports can be found online @
https://nrmsecure.dfg.ca.gov/documents/ContextDocs.aspx?cat=KlamathTrinity
If you'd like to be added to the distribution list of the Trinity River Project's trapping summaries let me know.