[DHS Bulletin] 11/10/2010

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Nov 9 14:03:24 PST 2010

MUST READ:

Lunch will be served in the portables over by the new gym (old DaVinci site) near baseball fields. Tables are set up outside to eat at.

Lost Art Book on Wed 11-3-10, it is called Van Gogh/Impressionism Movement. If found, please bring to A-1.

DHS will follow a different schedule the week of November 8.

Wednesday, Nov.10-Wednesday Block with Periods 2, 4, & 6;
Thursday, Nov. 11-NO SCHOOL Legal Holiday;
Friday, Nov. 12-NO SCHOOL Work Reduction Day

DAY IN HISTORY

November 9, 1989
East Germany Opens the Berlin Wall
On this day East German officials opened the Berlin Wall, allowing travel from East to West Berlin. The following day, celebrating Germans began to tear the wall down. One of the ugliest and most infamous symbols of the Cold War was soon reduced to rubble. Mikhail Gorbachev, leader of the Soviet Union, actually encouraged the East German action. The destruction of the Berlin Wall was one of the most significant actions leading to the end of the Cold War.

REMINDER

1. DHS Ski Team's Annual Fundraiser Ski Swap is on Sunday, November 14th from 9am-3pm at DHS in the Old Gym. Bring your used equipment and clothing to sell, great bargains on new and used equipment and clothing. Check your items in Saturday, November 13 between 4-8pm or Sunday, November 14th from 7:30-9am.

2. Girls Basketball Tryouts start on Monday for 9th-12th grade girls. Varsity will be on 11/08-11/10 from 4-6pm and Frosh/JV 11/08/-11/10 from 6-7:30pm in "The Cage" (old gym). Must have current physical form to tryout! Questions please contact Karen Foster (530)400-9768 (Frosh/JV) or Jeff Christian (530)574-4641 (varsity).

NEW

1. The Gay-Straight Alliance will meet this Sunday from 2pm-5pm in L-10 to make posters regarding next Friday's Transgender Day of Remembrance.

2. Hey everyone, come out to the Asian Student Association meeting in S-6 at lunch on Monday, 11/15. We will be discussing future activities, so we'll see you there!

3. Senior Ads deadline is December 17th. Buy them, come to A-7 to pick up a form or come to counseling office to pick up a form. Have you bought your yearbook yet? Buy one now at A-7 or at Walsworthyearbooks.com

4. Hey Key Clubbers, forgot to turn in your membership forms? No worries! Come stop by S-12 this week at lunch and drop it off to an officer. Remember we need your membership form to record your volunteer hours, so spread the buzz and don't miss out!

5. Our Chinese class has entered a video competition. Ten finalists will be selected by the judges for group performance.  Anyone will be able to vote for their favorite finalists on the website from November 11 to 14. If we are selected as one of the top ten finalists, please vote for us. Please check out the video "Davis Senior High School Chinese Class Welcomes You" at http://www.cheng-tsui.com/superstar/

SPORTS

Girls Tennis Section Team Playoffs                    TBA

COLLEGE VISITS

University of Redlands (Redland, CA) (visit is in library)  Wed. 11/10                   10:30am;

Occidental College (Los Angeles, CA)                                       Tues. 11/16                   9:00am

TODAY

1. Cafeteria: Chicken and veggie chow mein, turkey egg rolls with fried rice, pizza, sandwich.

2. Photography Contest-City of Davis' annual Photography Contest is here and the deadline is literally around the corner. Entries are due on Wednesday, November 10th and there are two categories to enter your photos in. Check the rules and entry forms at www.davisteenscene.org or contact irische at cityofdavis.org

3. Boys in grades 9-12 interested in participating on the 2011 DHS boys tennis team must attend a meeting on Wednesday, November 10 at 4:00pm. The meeting will be on court #12 at the high school tennis courts.

4. Aloha, konichiwa, bonjour, shalom, Holla! If you want to go to Friendship Day then come to the Quad Wednesday at lunch. We will have a sign up table there! Oh, fasho!

5. Wednesday at lunch the Healthy Lifestyles club will be meeting in N-11 at lunch to have some fun and enjoy free food. (sing) "We're bringing healthy back"!!!

6. The DHS Climate Committee will meet this Wednesday at 2:45 in the Library's west classroom. Everyone is invited.

7. Are you ready to hand out the love? There will be a Random Acts of Kindness Club meeting this Wednesday in L-20 at lunch. Come to hang out, eat, and make posters for the blood drive. New members are welcome.

8. Hey Debaters, we will be meeting today in S-7 after school. Hope to see you there!

9. Red Cross Club will be meeting today at lunch in room S-1. All are welcome to join.

10. The Davis High School Jazz Choir will present "Karaoke Night" on Wed, Nov. 10 from 7-10pm at Holmes Jr. High MPR. The Davis community is invited to an interactive program to entertain both teens and adults. Participants will hear the Jazz Choir perform, and everyone will have the opportunity to be Karaoke singers themselves as soloists, duos or trios. Dance breaks will intersperse the singing, and pizza will be available to purchase at intermission. Special guest soloists will appear throughout the night. Door prizes will be announced near the end of the evening. Proceeds from the evening will benefit the Jazz Choir's trip to New York City where they will participate in the Nationals Finale Show Choir Championships at Radio City Music Hall.

CONTINUED