[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin 12/08/2010

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Dec 7 15:31:59 PST 2010

DAY IN HISTORY

December 8, 1980   John Lennon Shot

John Lennon, a former member of the Beatles, the rock group that transformed popular music in the 1960s, was shot and killed by an obsessed fan in New York City on this day. Lennon and Paul McCartney made up the singing-songwriting team that made the Beatles the most popular musical group of the 20th century.

REMINDER

1. Do you remember seeing the tombstones last week on the quad? They were part of the Gay-Straight Alliance's effort to celebrate International Transgender Day of remembrance. To learn more, come to our movie night this Thursday at 4:30 in room L-10. There will be food and great discussion.

2. The annual Chips for Kids (CHP) toy drive, is under way again this year. Please bring in a new, unwrapped toy to the DHS front office where there is a barrel for collection. We will be collecting toys from now until Friday, December 17th. They will be distributed to hospitalized and disadvantaged kids just before the holidays. If you have any questions please call the DHS front desk

3. Calling all new and returning Davis High School Track and Field Athletes: Now is the time to get ready for the 2011 season. Preseason conditioning sessions begin now, and DHS track and field athletes not involved in a winter DHS sport should attend. The workouts will focus on three specific areas: event-specific training, strength and explosion, and speed development. Over the past few seasons, our work in December and January has proven critical in our section and conference championship efforts. So come on out, join your team and don't fear the hard work. Preseason conditioning is open to new and returning track and field athletes including ninth graders, no prior experience required! We meet every Monday through Thursday at 4pm at the DHS Track. Once again, track and field preseason conditioning meets Monday through Thursday at 4pm at the track. Visit www.dhstrack.com<http://www.dhstrack.com/> or Coach Elliott in room L-25.

4. The DHS Climate Committee meeting scheduled for this Wednesday has been CANCELLED. The Climate Committee will meet again after the first of the year on Wednesday, January 12th.

SPORTS

NONE

NEW

1. EVERYBODY STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING and PAY ATTENTION!!!  Today, YES today the STEAC canned food drive competition has started. Student Government officials will be coming around to your 4th periods to bring your boxes to put your cans in along with guidelines. Let's help our community!!

2. CAML test #3 will be on Tuesday, December 14. This is a chance to get some extra credit for you math class before the holidays. Come to any math classroom at lunch on Tuesday, December 14.

3. Any student interested in AP Art Studio for NEXT year, may want to attend the informational meeting in A-6 this Friday at the beginning of lunch.

4. The nurse says a huge thank you to all the students that came out to help at the blood drive on Friday. We registered 106 donors and collected 85 pints of life saving blood! We also had 63 first time donors come out to give blood. Just remember you may never meet the people you have helped save but know that you have touched their lives. It could be a student in one of your classes, the person in the fast lane driving slow that won't get out of your way or maybe a longtime friend or family member that received blood from the blood drive you helped host. Just know that you have helped save so many lives. You should be very proud of what you all achieved.

5. **Siren Sound** Here comes the Friendship Day Police!! You'd better turn your Friendship Day form into the front office by this Thursday, December 9th. Don't forget!! **Sirens again....fade out!!!
TODAY

1. Cafeteria: Chicken and veggie chow mein, turkey eggrolls and fried rice, pizza, and sandwich.

2. Hey Debaters! We will be having our general meeting this Wednesday after school in S-1. See you there!

3. Red Cross Club meets today in room S-1 during lunch. Anyone is welcome.

4. Davis' Got Talent presale tickets are available Tuesday thru Friday at lunch in front of P-10. Mr. Reiley's room! The presale price is only $4! Tickets are limited so don't delay!

5. Hey everyone it's that time of year again! This year's Junior Prom is just around the corner. Our 2010 theme is Arabian Nights! Junior Prom will be held on Saturday, December 11, from 9 PM-midnight in the DHS New Gym. The Junior Prom is open to ALL students at DHS, Da Vinci, King and DSIS. Students from outside the Davis Joint Unified School District may attend. Tickets are on sale now through Friday, December 10. They will be sold during lunch on the DHS campus. Cost is $30 with ASB and $35 without. In order to purchase a bid each student needs a signed Jr. Prom Dance contract which will be available in the office, C-4, or downloadable from the PTA website at www.dhspta.org by the end of this week. Because we are using the New Gym (since the MPR has been shut down), a new shoe policy is in effect: soft-soled shoes only. This means no hard plastic, or anything that could in any way dent or scratch the gym floor.

6. The DHS Climate Committee meeting scheduled for this Wednesday has been CANCELLED. The Climate Committee will meet again after the first of the year on Wednesday, January 12th.

7. Hey Seniors: Time is running out to buy your Grad Night reservation at the lowest price of the year $75 for reservations purchased until December 31, 2010 (Great holiday gift!). You can buy reservations Wednesday, December 8th, during lunch. Look for the Grad Night table on the quad. Make checks payable to Davis Grad Night. What's Grad Night? It's an all night, alcohol-free & drug-free party for graduating seniors on June 10, 2011, from 9:30pm-5:00am (must enter by midnight) at Emerson Jr. High. For more information, go to www.davisgradnight.org<http://www.davisgradnight.org>

CONTINUED

1. Its almost dodge ball season again. Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge your way into this year's season. Start getting your teams of up to 10 people together and have a team representative come to C-4 on December 15th at lunch time for an informational meeting.