[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin 12/07/2010

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Dec 6 15:11:58 PST 2010

DAY IN HISTORY

December 7, 1941 Pearl Harbor Bombed

At 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time, Japanese warplanes attacked the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor. The surprise attack struck a critical blow against the U.S. Pacific fleet and drew the United States into World War II. Much of the Pacific fleet was rendered useless and a total of 2,400 Americans were killed and 1,200 were wounded. The day after Pearl Harbor was bombed, President Roosevelt appeared before a joint session to ask Congress to approve a resolution recognizing the state of war between the United States and Japan. The Senate voted for war against Japan by 82 to 0, and the House of Representatives, approved the resolution by a vote of 388 to 1. The sole dissenter was Representative Jeannette Rankin of Montana, a devout pacifist who had also cast a dissenting vote against the U.S. entrance into World War I.

REMINDER

1. The DHS Climate Committee meeting scheduled for this Wednesday has been CANCELLED. The Climate Committee will meet again after the first of the year on Wednesday, January 12th.

2. The annual Chips for Kids (CHP) toy drive, is under way again this year. Please bring in a new, unwrapped toy to the DHS front office where there is a barrel for collection. We will be collecting toys from now until Friday, December 17th. They will be distributed to hospitalized and disadvantaged kids just before the holidays. If you have any questions please call the DHS front desk

3. Calling all new and returning Davis High School Track and Field Athletes: Now is the time to get ready for the 2011 season. Preseason conditioning sessions begin now, and DHS track and field athletes not involved in a winter DHS sport should attend. The workouts will focus on three specific areas: event-specific training, strength and explosion, and speed development. Over the past few seasons, our work in December and January has proven critical in our section and conference championship efforts. So come on out, join your team and don't fear the hard work. Preseason conditioning is open to new and returning track and field athletes including ninth graders, no prior experience required! We meet every Monday through Thursday at 4pm at the DHS Track. Once again, track and field preseason conditioning meets Monday through Thursday at 4pm at the track. Visit www.dhstrack.com<http://www.dhstrack.com/> or Coach Elliott in room L-25.

SPORTS

B. Basketball @ Woodland                    4:00F/5:30JV/7:00V

NEW

1. **Siren Sound** Here comes the Friendship Day Police!! You'd better turn your Friendship Day form into the front office by this Thursday, December 9th. Don't forget!! **Sirens again....fade out!!!

2. The nurse says a huge thank you to all the students that came out to help at the blood drive on Friday. We registered 106 donors and collected 85 pints of life saving blood! We also had 63 first time donors come out to give blood. Just remember you may never meet the people you have helped save but know that you have touched their lives. It could be a student in one of your classes, the person in the fast lane driving slow that won't get out of your way or maybe a longtime friend or family member that received blood from the blood drive you helped host. Just know that you have helped save so many lives. You should be very proud of what you all achieved.

3. Any student interested in AP Art Studio for NEXT year, may want to attend the informational meeting in A-6 this Friday at the beginning of lunch.

4. Its almost dodge ball season again. Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge your way into this year's season. Start getting your teams of up to 10 people together and have a team representative come to C-4 on December 15th at lunch time for an informational meeting.

5. Hey Debaters! We will be having our general meeting this Wednesday after school in S-1. See you there!

6. Hey everyone it's that time of year again! This year's Junior Prom is just around the corner. Our 2010 theme is Arabian Nights! Junior Prom will be held on Saturday, December 11, from 9 PM-midnight in the DHS New Gym. The Junior Prom is open to ALL students at DHS, Da Vinci, King and DSIS. Students from outside the Davis Joint Unified School District may attend. Tickets are on sale now through Friday, December 10. They will be sold during lunch on the DHS campus. Cost is $30 with ASB and $35 without. In order to purchase a bid each student needs a signed Jr. Prom Dance contract which will be available in the office, C-4, or downloadable from the PTA website at www.dhspta.org by the end of this week. Because we are using the New Gym (since the MPR has been shut down), a new shoe policy is in effect: soft-soled shoes only. This means no hard plastic, or anything that could in any way dent or scratch the gym floor.

TODAY

1. Cafeteria: Beef dippers and rice, pasta bar, chicken wing and celery sticks, pizza and sandwich.

2. Jack be nimble Jack be quick, Jack ran up a candle stick. So come to Chinese Club on Tuesday to celebrate and learn more about the history, influence and secrets of Chinese Culture on Tuesday in N-15A at lunch. See you there!

3. Come support the Freedom from Hunger Club by eating at Habit Burger today, Tuesday, December 7th from 4-9:30pm. Mention the Freedom from Hunger Club at the register and 20% of your purchase will go to future Freedom from Hunger events.

4. Hey Operation Smile members! There is a meeting today during lunch in Ms. Neagley's room. See you all there!

5. Davis' Got Talent presale tickets are available Tuesday thru Friday at lunch in front of P-10. Mr. Reiley's room! The presale price is only $4! Tickets are limited so don't delay!

6. There will be an MSA meeting today, December 7th at lunch in room P-10.

CONTINUED

1. Seniors! Order your panoramic class picture today! Order forms are available outside the yearbook room.

2. Hey Seniors: Time is running out to buy your Grad Night reservation at the lowest price of the year $75 for reservations purchased until December 31, 2010 (Great holiday gift!). You can buy reservations Tuesday, and Wednesday, December 7th and 8th, during lunch. Look for the Grad Night table on the quad. Make checks payable to Davis Grad Night. What's Grad Night? It's an all night, alcohol-free & drug-free party for graduating seniors on June 10, 2011, from 9:30pm-5:00am (must enter by midnight) at Emerson Jr. High. For more information, go to www.davisgradnight.org<http://www.davisgradnight.org>