[Dhsbb-jazz] DHS Band Booster Minutes for April Mtg (Virtual mtg) To be discussed/approved at tonight's mtg.

Horn, John A john.a.horn at intel.com
Wed May 4 17:40:27 PDT 2016

All,
Due to quite a few people (many of our regular attendees) & most of the officers not being able to attend on the DHS Band Booster mtg this Wednesday, I am canceling the Face-to-Face portion of the meeting and changing it to a “Virtual” meeting, which will be done via email this month.   So we will not actually meeting in a room, but instead use the technology at our fingertips to keep things going.    Below are the items “discussed”.

Agenda for the Virtual Mtg:  (Write-up owners)
Virtual Meeting Opens for comments/inputs:  On Apr 12, 2016, at 11:52 AM

March Band Booster Mtg Minutes viewing & approval  (John H) – Send out for May BB meeting approval.
Upcoming Calendar of Events for the Year (John):  We will review this in the May BB meeting as well.

                John & Tom are continuing to work the details of next year’s calendar.  Several items still need to be finalized before we send it out.
Directors Update (Tom)

Jazz Invitational (Thur 4/14) - the concert features UC Davis' jazz ensemble, beginning at 7:30. The DHS band's call time is 6:30. We'll play music from the semester, including combos, and conclude with a jam session with UCD students.
Picnic Day Parade (Sat 4/16) - Call time for the Pp Band is 8:00am on the Russell IM Field, located on the North boundary of UCD, facing Russell Blvd. We are in the fourth row, closest to Russell Blvd, the 4th entry from the front of this row. The attire is blue polo shirts and jeans or shorts. Absolutely no open toed shoes will be allowed! Wear closed toe shoes (tennis or athletic shoes), bring water bottles, hats, and sunscreen. Mr. S will be distributing forms that must be signed by the parents and returned on Saturday morning.
The parade ends at 3rd and A street, where the students will be dismissed. Please plan on carrying everything you bring.
Capitol Concert (Thur 5/19) - We are performing for the noontime press conference, sharing the stage with the Bakersfield HS Chamber Singers. We will arrive at the State Capitol no later then 10:15am, as we are sharing buses with the DHS Symphony who performs at 11:15am. We follow the Symphony Orchestra with the aforementioned choir joining us.
HELP NEEDED: We need parent chaperones (about six) to help with the event. It would also be nice if the boosters are able to help offset the cost of pizza for the band to eat after the performance. The expected departure time from DHS is 9:30am and the estimated return time is ~2:00pm.
Note from John:  Yes the boosters can help with lunch for the band members.
Reno Jazz Festival (Thur 4/28-Fri 4/29) - We will leave DHS on Thursday, April 28th after 7th period and head directly to Reno. As you can see, the performances begin quite early and we'll need to leave the hotel early Friday morning for UNR. The final performance ends at ~12:45pm and we'll depart UNR for Davis immediately thereafter.
Band Boosters is helping to coordinate the trip; transportation, hotel, dinner, etc.

[cid:image003.png at 01D1A62C.0A942D70]

Senior Concert – (Tue 5/3) - The first half will feature the Symphonic and the combined Concert and Symphonic Bands in performance. A brief intermission will be focused upon the awards and distribution of the cords (already ordered and should arrive in time for distribution). I will be sending out an email shortly regarding the need for "munchkin" and graduating senior photos. We will need assistance in program distribution and possibly refreshments at the intermission.
Jazz on a Summer’s Eve (Thur 6/2) - The final Jazz Band performance will be on June 2nd. We will perform some new works and a combined piece with all th Jr. High and HS jazz bands at the end of the concert that we received in NOLA.  We will need assistance in program distribution and possibly refreshments at the intermission.

We have the Festival of the Arts on Saturday, May 7th at Central Park

Coconut Grove Outcome/Summary (Phil):  No inputs, so we’ll talk about it at the May mtg.

Pancake Breakfast outcome (Karen)
The Applebee's Pancake breakfast fundraiser which had been scheduled for February was canceled due to poor ticket sales. (We needed to sell 100 minimum and only sold 75.) It has not been rescheduled but Applebee's would be happy to have us schedule a future date for this event. We would sell tickets for $15 and keep $10 per ticket. Live music would be provided by DHS band musicians. We may want to try this again next school year.

Treasurer’s Update (Ron)
Coconut Grove revenue was $12,075 per the auction website.  Our account shows receipts of $11,385, so there is $690 unaccounted for at the moment.   The net proceeds based on the lower number came out to $8,904.  It seems to me we easily have $6k to put toward Disney and $3k to put toward NOLA as refunds if we want to assist as we proposed in March.
A pdf of the treasure’s report will be included with the minutes on the DHS Band Booster website.

To be addressed at the May Band Booster meeting:
NOLA Trip Summary & Passdowns  (Katie & John)
Disney Trip Summary & Status  (Katie & John)
By Law Change Proposal (John)
2016-2017 Officers & Committee Chairs needed (John)
2016-2017 Calendar (John, Tom)
Jazz Band End of Year gathering (John)
Other Business (Anyone)