[Davis Democrats] From Congressman Mike Thompson re campaign finance reform

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Tue Nov 14 18:16:53 PST 2006

Regarding your support for H.R. 3099, the Clean Money Clean Elections Act,
I appreciate hearing from you.

H.R. 3099 was introduced on June 28, 2005 by Representative John Tierney
(D-MA).  It would establish a voluntary system that would give candidates an
option for public financing and reduced rates for advertising along with
limitations on broadcast advertising in exchange for self-imposed
limitations on campaign spending.  Participating candidates would get a
dollar-for-dollar match, up to a set limit, if they were challenged by a
non-participating opponent in order to stay competitive.  The bill has been
assigned to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce for review.
Whether the approach taken in this bill will improve how federal campaigns
are financed is certainly worthy of debate in Congress.  Please know that I
am carefully reviewing this legislation and I will keep your comments firmly
in mind should this bill come before the House of Representatives for a
vote.
Again, thank you for contacting me.  Please continue to contact me on
matters of concern to you and to our district.
Sincerely,

MIKE THOMPSON
Member of Congress
http://www.mikethompson.house.gov

You cannot reply to this email.  If you would like to email me, please visit
http://www.house.gov/writerep

------ End of Forwarded Message