[1st-mile-nm] New Mexico Amendment 2: Passes

John Badal jbadal at sacredwindnm.com
Thu Nov 10 17:02:52 PST 2022

This amendment was intended to work around what has been called the “anti donation clause” in our State’s constitution (wrongly interpreted by many to impede public-private partnerships). It’s a good start but we in the industry need to work closely with the state legislature as it now has the authority to appropriate funding for broadband projects.  As commented already, there is a risk that the “big guys” can run away with those projects, but that could occur if 2 things happen: the local guys fail to communicate with our state legislators as much and as well as the big guys, and the local guys fail to collaborate with our local governments and communities.  The last point is significant because it may be that any legislative appropriation of funding for broadband will be project specific, targeting specific communities.  A question left unanswered by the amendment is who will own the assets of such projects?  My layman’s opinion on that is based on what I’ve heard many a State agency attorney has said: public funding can only go to public entities.

John