[1st-mile-nm] New Mexico Amendment 2: Passes

Mimbres Communications mimcom at sw-ei.com
Thu Nov 10 16:32:19 PST 2022

On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 11:44 AM John Osmon <josmon at rigozsaurus.com> wrote:

> The bottom-up providers that rise to fill niche areas the "big boys"
> choose to ignore are an important part of the broadband ecosystem.  If
> public money is being used for infrastructure, the "little guys" should
> have reasonable barriers of entry to use it.

This is something NM has a chance to get right, but making it actually
happen will require significant backbone.  Federal grant programs come with
more-than-onerous letter of credit requirements that are essentially
impossible for truly small providers to meet.  If NM is willing to accept
performance bonds as security for small projects, we'll see robust
participation by local businesses.

--

Kurt Albershardt  |  Mimbres Communications, LLC  |  575-342-0042