[1st-mile-nm] US Feds to increase costs for access to Federal Land for broadband

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Dec 30 13:25:11 PST 2021

A web search found:
https://www.doit.state.nm.us/broadband/

They have a map of availability of various types of broadband,
which is about as reliable as such maps usually are -- who knew
that most of the lower Bandelier back country had fiber? -- and
a page on the Technical Assistance Program to help qualified
government entities who are seeking to deploy or expand broadband
infrastructure, with a soft application date of 17 October 2021
for proposals. I wonder how many proposals they actually got.

They also have a link to a speed test that implies that they'll
actually collect speeds and make them part of their map.
So I encourage everyone to go there,
https://www.doit.state.nm.us/broadband/speedtest.shtml
even if you already know your connection speed, and especially if
you have a slow link and want to make sure they include that in
their data.

        ...Akkana