[1st-mile-nm] Intro and pole attachment question

John Badal jbadal at sacredwindnm.com
Tue Dec 15 14:50:41 PST 2020

You would think that attaching fiber for broadband today to an existing pole line would be the most expedient way to reach homes and businesses, but the actual process is extremely cumbersome, somewhat arbitrary, expensive, and where multiple pole owners are involved, unpredictable.  This is not just a rural phenomenon, pitting rural ISPs versus rural electric coops -- dealing with the City of Albuquerque is time consuming,  expensive, heavily bureaucratic and seat of the pants managed.  Having to undergo a ponderous process to establishing a telecom easement on an electric pole line that already exists makes no sense unless broadband service to the end user is not the public policy objective we believe it is.

John Badal