[1st-mile-nm] NYC accelerates Internet Master Plan | Smart Cities Dive

Christopher Mitchell christopher at ilsr.org
Tue Jul 14 09:40:07 PDT 2020

I think the framework of the NYC Master Internet plan is important.

The idea of far more neutral infrastructure is great. Making it so network
builders don't have to focus on middle mile but can focus on the actual
deployments is smart policy. That assumes the city gets its part correct.
The focus on affordable housing is good and important - but the
revolutionary part is building lots of neutral, low-cost fiber and places
to cross-connect.

Christopher Mitchell
Director, Community Broadband Networks
Institute for Local Self-Reliance