[1st-mile-nm] NYC accelerates Internet Master Plan | Smart Cities Dive

Trey Scarborough trey at 3dsc.co
Tue Jul 14 05:24:55 PDT 2020

No not simple at all not in NY. Finding a company to service it may be
next to impossible. I do a lot of work there and most companies have
stopped expanding lately. NY is currently wanting to tax every strand
mile of fiber in any public right of way to the point that at current
market rates for service there is no way you can make a profit. This
would make the economics of building this out undesirable unless you
received an exemption from the taxes for completing it. The second will
be construction because most of it has to be done at night for obvious
network reasons along with traffic issues. In these areas most companies
will not work at night for good reason. I have had splicers that had
there ventilation system and safety equipment stolen during the middle
of the day while they were in the trailer watching. Plus to the
de-funding of the police to redirect this money to broadband you can
almost guarantee the cost for the mandatory police/state police traffic
control during construction just went up 300% or more. It can already be
thousands of dollars a night. MM wave is a good idea but, but in reality
that has limited capacity and it is difficult to get line of site to a
building that has fiber and will let you place a dish on it.