[1st-mile-nm] USDA Invests $23 Million in High-Speed Broadband in Rural New Mexico

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Thu May 7 16:23:10 PDT 2020

USDA Invests $23 Million in High-Speed Broadband in Rural New Mexico

New Opportunities for e-Connectivity for more than 2,200 New Mexico
Households

Press Release No. 0241.20
Contact: USDA Press:  press at oc.usda.gov

https://www.usda.gov/media/press-releases/2020/05/05/usda-invests-23-million-high-speed-broadband-rural-new-mexico

WASHINGTON, May 5, 2020 – U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue
today announced during a virtual press conference that USDA is investing
$23 million for three recipients in New Mexico to provide broadband
service in unserved and underserved rural areas. These investments are
part of USDA’s round one investments made through the ReConnect Pilot
Program.

“The need for rural broadband has never been more apparent than it is
now – as our nation manages the Coronavirus national emergency. Access
to telehealth services, remote learning for school children, and remote
business operations all require access to broadband,” said Secretary
Perdue. “I am so proud of our rural communities who have been working
day in and day out, just like they always do, producing the food and
fiber America depends on. We need them more than ever during these
trying times and expanding access to this critical infrastructure will
help ensure rural America prospers for years to come.”

ReConnect New Mexico service territory map (link to PR)

USDA is investing $23 million in ReConnect Program funding for three
recipients in New Mexico to provide broadband service to more than 2,200
rural New Mexico households across 17 counties.

Pueblo of Acoma will invest a $942,955 grant to help provide fixed
wireless broadband. Currently, the area completely lacks sufficient
access to broadband service. Providing broadband will fuel long-term
economic development and job opportunities in the service area, which
includes 771 households spread over 22 square miles in Cibola County.

Penasco Valley Telephone Cooperative Inc. will use a $3.1 million grant
to deploy a fiber broadband network. The service area includes 659
households spread over 363 square miles in Lincoln, Otero, Chaves, and
Eddy counties.

E.N.M.R. Telephone Cooperative will use a $19.2 million grant to help
build a fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network serving farms, businesses
and critical community facilities in rural areas in New Mexico. The
service area includes 789 households and three critical community
facilities spread over 13 counties and 4,292 square miles.

(snip)