[1st-mile-nm] USDA's Distance Learning & Telemedicine (DLT) Grants: Briefing

John Badal jbadal at sacredwindnm.com
Wed May 6 12:46:29 PDT 2020

Good analysis.  As you say, the grant won't cover more than 20% for broadband infrastructure development, so this appears better suited for schools' development of online education programming and for medical facilities' telemedicine applications.  Additionally, the guidelines require that the applicant  be the owner of the broadband facilities and equipment covered by the grant, which seems to further dissuade ISPs from applying.  This scheme would work best, however, if a school applies for the grant and partners with an ISP for broadband delivery over facilities operated by the ISP but owned by the applicant.

John