[1st-mile-nm] Brookings on COVID & broadband

Christopher Mitchell christopher at ilsr.org
Thu Apr 16 18:08:09 PDT 2020

Look, I think we can all agree that the FCC has to ensure that public
dollars only go to the highest caliber companies that will ensure we get
the best value for our public expenditures. That is why they create so many
hurdles for small companies that have great local track records and
basically grease the rails for companies that would never, ever, ever,
ever, ever, ever, ever take billions of dollars and then declare bankruptcy
while probably not meeting the most basic of requirements in the programs
that they cashed the checks from.

More seriously, I do actually think the RDOF plan has some merit and I
think that waiting to get more data on locations would only spread the
subsidies thinner and delay getting money out to rural providers. This is a
dramatic improvement over CAF II's shoveling of billions to AT&T et al. I
think Congress should focus on making more money available as better
mapping reveals where it should go.

Christopher Mitchell
Director, Community Broadband Networks
Institute for Local Self-Reliance