[1st-mile-nm] more 5g fun: neighborhood small cells

Doug Orr doug.orr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 20:12:49 PST 2019

Lower frequency: lower information density (and better penetration and
distance).4g connections can be fairly fast, there is just not enough
bandwidth for a lot of them as would be required with a large cell. Which
is why they are pushing out to more antennas with more, smaller, higher
speed cells backed with a local fiber infrastructure. A lot of what's
happening is were getting a fiber infrastructure plus wireless plus mobile.

https://www.cio.com/article/3226451/networking/5g-a-few-frequency-facts.html

The penetration issue is present for 4g as well, which is why hotels or
office buildings will have local cells inside to ensure good coverage
inside. It's just worse if you are trying to keep individual connections
high speed.

>>> 1st-mile-nm at mailman.dcn.org