[1st-mile-nm] Santa Fe CIP High Speed Internet Project

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Thu Mar 27 10:22:40 PDT 2014

The telephone system got us to think that the wire/fiber and the service
are the same thing.  In reality there is always at least 3 services
being provided:
   1- physical infrastructure (fiber and/or copper)
   2- aggregation/switching (DSL, DOCIS, ethernet, radio, and even dial-up)
   3- Internet service

There is no reason to expect that all 3 layers will be provided by
the same companies.  In dial-up and early DSL days, your phone company
supplied layers 1 & 2, and you picked who you wanted for layer 3.
Now, all the ISPs want to supply all 3 layers -- it gives them more
control of the consumer.

So, when you ask: "when can I get fiber to my house and for how much?"
you need to realize that this initiative supplies layers 1 (fiber) and
layer 2 (ethernet bandwidth) -- but layer 3 is still up grabs.

Personally, I think this is the best possible deal for the consumer, but
we need to get as many ISPs invovled as possible to give the consumer
the greatest choice over the super cool fiber inrastructure.

Give this some time.  Done right, there will be a lot of people looking
at it and saying, "Hey!  I want *that*!"