[1st-mile-nm] New Mexico First

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Wed Aug 1 20:49:34 PDT 2012

Lets look at the real eco-system here.

Email is "hosted through"...  Actually if you dig into DNS and check out the MX record for their email server you will see that its hosted with MSN.NET in Colorado.

So the money flow is from nmfirst.org to stillsolutions.com, who then pay MicroSoft for virtual hosting via MS's outlook.com hosting site.   I would suspect that the bulk of the money goes OUT OF STATE.

Website, local developer.  That's good.   The spin words are "on a national hosted platform, using his NM license on this platform".

Begs the question "What NM License" is required to host a website.. ???
Or, what does a "license" have to do with the reality here at all?  Or is it just good sounding words to make it seem more local.  Oh, he has a NM License...

The web server, its content, and the money that pays for it goes to a hosting company located in NEW YORK CITY.

Ms. Balas, the point here is that as a technologist, I see nothing these OUT OF STATE vendors are providing NMFIRST, that could not be done by any number of truly local companies.

Despite other comments, I believe any number of them could do it for equal or less money.

While we are talking about spending money.

Questions:  (based on research data I have received)

Why has the State Library and NM First paid someone from Illinois to write the State Broadband Report.???   Do people in Illinois understand what our "State Question"  is ??

Why has DoIT spent State and Federal money with an East Coast firm to develop a Broadband Guide?    I thought NM had some of the highest number of PhD's per capita in the country/world??

Don't we have smart people here that can create a NM Community Broadband Guide ??

Couldn't someone like Crestino or others provide these design and engineering services ??

Folks, if we are going to get Federal $$  and State money to improve OUR STATE, then WE THE PEOPLE, need to make sure those dollars STAY IN OUR STATE.

VIVA NEW MEXICO.   VIVA SPEND LOCALLY

John Brown, speaking for me...