[1st-mile-nm] Broadband New Mexico, a Resources List

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Wed Aug 1 10:07:45 PDT 2012

John's proposal that we create a list of broadband service providers,
hosting companies and colo companies that are headquartered in New
Mexico and owned by people that live in New Mexico, is a fine idea,
as noted by some of the follow-on postings.    Some thoughts:

Putting together and maintaining an accurate and (near) complete list
of
such NM entities and resources will be a lot of work.
As Nerissa has stated, many are already subscribed to this list, and
between
Eric W. and myself, we have a long list of such entities.
However, I know that NM DoIT has prepared a fairly extensive list of
all
providers in NM, as well as engineering firms and others that make up
our
networked services sectors, as part of the State Mapping project,
funded by the NTIA.    It is a very detailed and lengthy .xls file,
which could possibly be re-structured (removing proprietary info.) and
shared.

I'm curious how many of this list's subscribers know of and plan to
attend
this Friday's NM Broadband Conference in Albuquerque.   NM First, the
organizer, and the State Library, funded by an ARRA NTIA-BTOP award,
have not
posted Conference info. to this list, unfortunately.   Friday's
Conference,
however, may be a good opportunity to put forward this idea, and some
others,
that may help NM move forward to enhance its broadband future.  The
Conference
background report, prepared by an out-of-state contractor, while a good
start,
is 'soft', and has many omissions and inaccuracies, which should be
rectified.

There are many good ideas and initiatives that, with very little, or
already
existing funds, could help us roll up our sleeves to accomplish needed
work.
This Friday's Conference could result in a number of action agendas,
which
could be realized during 2012-13, if we come prepared to do so.

Does anyone on this list not know about this Friday's Conference?
http://nmfirst.org/events/statewide-broadband-summit

Richard

Richard Lowenberg
1st-Mile Institute