[1st-mile-nm] Udall committee assignments

Carroll Cagle carroll at cagleandassociates.com
Fri Jan 9 09:27:03 PST 2009

Udall Learns His Senate Assignments

Albuquerque Journal

Friday, January 09, 2009

By Michael <http://www.abqjournal.com/cgi-bin/email_reporter.pl?staff=yes>
Coleman
Journal Washington Bureau
       WASHINGTON - Sen. Tom Udall, a New Mexico Democrat, learned this week
that he has been appointed to the Committee on Commerce, Science and
Transportation, as well as the Committee on Environment and Public Works.
The Commerce Committee has especially wide-ranging jurisdiction, including
consumer protection, telecommunications, railways, and science and
innovation.
    The Environment and Public Works Committee in recent years has served as
the chief committee responsible for combating climate change, and also plays
a leading role in crafting federal environmental policy.
    Udall, who is succeeding longtime Republican Sen. Pete Domenici, was
sworn in for his first Senate term on Tuesday and said he was thrilled with
the appointments.
    "Both of these committee assignments will help me protect New Mexico,"
Udall said in a brief interview.
    He pointed out that the science element of his committee work will
dovetail effectively with the needs of Los Alamos and Sandia National
Laboratories, and that New Mexicans also "care really deeply about
environment and public works issues."
    Udall highlighted the Commerce Committee's role in spurring economic
development.
    "New Mexico's future ability to create high-quality jobs depends on
having a modern system of transportation and communication," he said in a
prepared statement. "We also need strong rules to protect consumers and help
American businesses keep the public's trust. On the Commerce Committee, I
will be able to address all of these issues and ensure that my constituents
have a strong advocate for their interests."