[1st-mile-nm] New Mexico is slowest Internet in US

Gary Gomes ggomes at soundviewnet.com
Thu Dec 4 11:19:02 PST 2008

I neglected to mention that one New Mexico provider, CityLink Fiber, did get
a positive comment-

In the modern world of Internet service, two things go without saying: Fiber
optic <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2335755,00.asp>  service is
dramatically faster, and satellite service is substantially slower. Our
results support these shocking statements. Among satellite services,
including industry leader HughesNet and competitors like WildBlue
<http://www.wildblue.com> , SurfSpeeds averaged just 145 kilobits per second
(Kbps). Taken as a whole, DSL and cable connections were more than five
times as fast. And fiber optic connections, including the well-publicized
Verizon FiOS and lesser-known regional carriers like Utah's Mstar
<http://www.mstar.net/technology/fiber-optics.php>  and New Mexico's
CityLink Fiber <http://www.citylinkfiber.com> , were 152 percent faster than
that. Clearly, if you can switch up, you should. The fiber market will only
grow, too, as companies install more and more lines. According to the
Telecommunications Industry Association's 2008 Market Review and Forecast,
"During the next four years, more fiber will be deployed than during the
so-called overbuilding years of the late 1990s and early 2000s."

Gary