[1st-mile-nm] New Mexico is slowest Internet in US

Gary Gomes ggomes at soundviewnet.com
Thu Dec 4 11:10:14 PST 2008

Another QWEST victory - the latest Internet survey from PC Magazine has New
Mexico dead last.  So much for our PRC's great "settlement".

New Mexico
Population: 1,969,915
Area: 121,589 square miles
Average speed: 322 Kbps
SurfSpeed rank: 50th
Satisfied users: 36 percent
Median monthly price of broadband: $35
Broadband penetration: 45.0 percent
There's tons to see and do in New Mexico, but surfing the Internet quickly
isn't one of them. It's the slowest state in America on our SurfSpeed test,
with an average speed of 322 Kbps; New Mexicans jaunt through the tubes at
about 40 percent the rate of nearby Nevadans. DSL connections held back the
state on our test, with Qwest's 381 Kbps pulling the average slightly up and
EarthLink's 277 Kbps bringing it down.