[1st-mile-nm] Conduit

Andrew Cohill cohill at designnine.com
Sat Jul 26 14:23:18 PDT 2008

> Forwarded posting from subscriber Mike Byrnes.
>
> Steven:
>
> Can you provide any examples of municipalities 'requiring' the
> installation
> of conduit during a utility system upgrade?
>
> I live in a small (2200 lots and 1000 homes) community in So. NM
> with a
> Special Water District that is preparing a major system upgrade (new
> water
> lines throughout the district).

West Point, Virginia, a small town of 1200 homes, just put in a new
water line between a new business park and a water line closer to
downtown, and they are installing microduct alongside the water line.
It is a run of about two miles.

The Lenowisco fiber project (three counties in southwest Virginia) got
started in duct and fiber several years ago by installing microduct
alongside a twenty mile water main that was going in between two towns
in the region.  The project now has nearly 200 miles of duct and fiber
installed.

Best regards,
Andrew

Andrew Michael Cohill, Ph.D.
President
Design Nine, Inc.

Design Nine provides visionary broadband architecture and engineering
services, telecommunications and broadband master planning, and
broadband project management.

Visit the Technology Futures blog for frequently updated news and
commentary on technology issues.
  http://www.designnine.com/news/

http://www.designnine.com/
Blacksburg, Virginia