[1st-mile-nm] Chicago firm to sell untapped Lamdarail fiber bandwidth

Arthur Maccabe maccabe at unm.edu
Mon Jun 23 08:38:45 PDT 2008

Darkstrand's deal with NRL is that they will maintain part of the
infrastructure and provide an infusion of money to extend NLR's assets
in exchange for being able to sell excess bandwidth to commercial
entities.  The partnership makes sense in that the universities that
bought into NLR are not in a position to market the assets and, in
wake of the failed I2 merger, NLR was in need of money for expansion
and for maintenance.  The assets that we own are still owned by the
members of NLR.

I2 may currently have a better business model than NLR; however, I2's
business model has improved quite  bit since the inception of NLR.
Moreover, NLR continues to offer services that I2 cannot offer and,
until recently, I2's governance model was fundamentally broken.