[1st-mile-nm] [FRIAM] Kicking the Internet up a notch

Bob Knight bob at bobknight.net
Mon Apr 7 17:25:32 PDT 2008

I agree about the "catch up". In my "day job", I have serious concerns
about the way we're delivering computing from any number of directions:
costs, resource (e.g. people) utilization, encryption (whole-disk and
partial), security, compliance/accreditation etc. whilst keeping
enterprise management in mind. While not suitable for some situations,
the Sun Rays (as an example) provide solutions or easily tractable
workarounds  to many of the aforementioned problems. They also drive
some costs to service (e.g. bandwidth) providers, which is just fine by
me.From a field support perspective, for example, I sure like the "lick
and stick" model when one (rarely) keels over. In an era of "doing more
with less", there's a lot to like. I anticipate, for instance, that I'll
have a SR on my desk Real Soon Now, with a SR laptop for working at home.

And I'm reminded of the similarity of centralization to running
DECsystem-20's in the 80's at NMT, Stanford and SRI...perhaps I'll
resurrect my white lab coat :).

Bob