[1st-mile-nm] Intel's Long-Distance Wi-Fi

Bob Knight bob at bobknight.net
Thu Mar 20 20:36:05 PDT 2008

The quoted message isn't exactly correct. The standard 802.11 MAC layer
starts to have serious problems above ~10 km.When we first started La
Canada Wireless ~5+ years ago, we had a person connecting from the ridge
east of Cerrillos to our first (solar) AP above the Eldorado country
store. IIRC, that was a 20 km shot. The bandwidth obtained was rarely
above 100 kilobits, while we could see 2-3+ megabits on locally shorter
links.

The problems are related to timings in the protocol, primarily ack and
slot. To get longer distances reliably, these MUST be adjusted. See
http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/LongDistance for an unusually lucid
presentation of the issues.

Otherwise, spot on: the Intel announcement is underwhelming and
misleading. We buy 802.11a equipment (5.8 Ghz) for our backhaul links.
At present, our longest 11a link is ~10 miles (from Las Lagunitas to
Vail mountain) and my co-worker there regularly gets well over 3
megabits over the link. Were we to put higher gain antennas on both ends
(parabolics, ~4x gain of existing), I have no doubt we could double or
triple that. Aesthetics are, unfortunately, in play there.

I have gotten 20+ megabits out of a  7 mile point-to-point link using
this equipment. At my home, I am two hops from the DS-3 upstream. The
hops are about two miles each. Depending on the site to which I'm
connected and the load on our router, I've seen over 10 megabits
sustained on some large transfers to my laptop, which is on my home
wireless 11g network..

The equipment we use is COTS @ ~$225+, depending on how it is provisioned.

Not fiber speeds, but as  FTTH out here is probably a pipe dream for the
foreseeable future, I'll suffer. At my day job, BTW, it is rare that
I'll see 50 megabit speeds to my desktop, even though the intervening
infrastructure to the backbone is all gigabit+.

FWIW.

Bob