[1st-mile-nm] Video Road Hogs Stir Fear of Internet Traffic Jam - New York Times

Tom Johnson tom at jtjohnson.com
Thu Mar 13 19:46:41 PDT 2008

Hard times a'comin' folks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/technology/13net.html?_r=1&st=cse&sq=internet+speed&scp=1&oref=slogin---

A couple afternoons back I came home to my house a mile south of Santa Fe's
plaza.  It's a pretty densely populated neighborhood, with fairly tech savvy
neighbors.
There were four or five Qwest trucks in the street out front, a guy up the
pole nearest my place, and four or five others standing in the street
"supervising."

So what's up? I asked.
"We're replacing the phone lines into your house," said one.
With what?
"We're putting in new twisted-pair copper," he said.
Oh?  What's the difference between this and the twisted pair I have now?
"This will give you a better DSL connection," he said.
(I don't have DSL, but.....)
So how far away is the nearest fiber optic line, I asked?
"Don't know," he said.  "We're not from around here."
Oh.

--tj

J. T. Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism -- Santa Fe, NM USA
www.analyticjournalism.com
505.577.6482(c)                                 505.473.9646(h)
http://www.jtjohnson.com                 tom at jtjohnson.com

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the
existing model obsolete."
                                                   -- Buckminster Fuller