[1st-mile-nm] Mea Culpa and Comment

Arthur Maccabe maccabe at unm.edu
Tue Feb 12 14:50:23 PST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 2:26 PM, peter wrote:

> Very good points Arthur
>
> Yes I realize that the FULL economic targets are never known but
> with logical thought process ( mapping - modeling - monitoring ) we
> should at least have some direction and reasons
>

> Many moons ago there was a tech conference in Santa Fe called
> Leapfrog ( How could we jump start NM Connectivity technology )http://www.ideapete.com/leapfrog.html
>  at which there where some very quite Germanic types floating around.
>
> Some months after the conference I was in Vienna doing work with the
> IAEA on security installations and in the hotel where I stayed there
> was a conference hosted by Deutsche Tel / Siemens at which I
> recognized some of the same guys and naturally we gravitated to the
> bar for more discussion.   Turns out that as we all now know DT was
> making a run at U S West ( Now Qwest ) and several other telecoms.
> The thing that sticks in my mind is the computerized maps and models
> they shared about economic growth layered onto the network and
> possibilities and how they felt it was essential that part of their
> companies mission was to facilitate this.  I well remember going up
> to my room thinking " How in the hell did a bunch of Germans come up
> with such a clear potential possible road map for our state and why
> don't we locally have even snippet of these possibilities " That
> vision and our lack of still gives me nightmares

Two observations: 1) DT is a company, they live and die by their
ability to build accurate business projections.  My guess is that our
local companies don't have particularly good models of the state, but
that's just a guess, because if I were them, I'd treat what ever
modeling I had as highly confidential (didn't you feel like you were
seeing something special).  2) My model is likely to emphasize very
different things than the model that others might build.  Working for
UNM, I'm going to focus on students who might be better prepared and/
or motivated to go on to college (specifically at UNM, but more
generally in NM), and I'll include the students who attend virtually
because they have sufficient connectivity to work from where they
choose to be.....  I expect that others have very different models for
supporting first mile connectivity.

BTW, I didn't mean to imply that we should embrace serendipity
(unexpected, pleasant surprises) as our economic model (it probably
sounded like that), we just need to be wide ranging in our exploration
of the space.

--
Barney Maccabe
Chief Information Officer (Interim)